Skip to main content

Court rules against Fifa and Uefa in Super League judgment

Fifa and Uefa rules blocking a potential European Super League have been ruled to be “unlawful”, a landmark ruling has found.  The European Court of Justice (ECJ) delivered its long-awaited verdict in Luxembourg on Thursday morning after the European Super League Company (ESLC) first took legal action against both governing bodies in April 2021.

“The FIFA and UEFA rules making any new interclub football project subject to their prior approval, such as the Super League, and prohibiting clubs and players from playing in those competitions, are unlawful,” said the ECJ.

The ruling will embolden those aiming to break down UEFA’s powers, with Real Madrid and Barcelona still fully committed to the notion of a breakaway league.

A22, the sports management company aiming to launch a new European competition, has published plans for new men’s and women’s tournaments which it proposes would run midweek and provide “competitive drama and decisive matches throughout the entire football season”.

“We’ve won the right to compete,” said Bernd Reichart, A22 chief executive. “UEFA’s monopoly is over. Football is free. Now the clubs will not suffer threats and punishments. They are free to decide their own future.”

Fifteen judges in the ECJ’s Grand Chamber passed this binding verdict after months of deliberation and, given its status as the highest court in the EU, it is not subject to any appeal.

“The Court holds that, where an undertaking in a dominant position has the power to determine the conditions in which potentially competing undertakings may access the market, that power must, given the risk of conflict of interest to which it gives rise, be subject to criteria which are suitable for ensuring that they are transparent, objective, non discriminatory and proportionate,” the ruling added.

“However, the powers of FIFA and UEFA are not subject to any such criteria. FIFA and UEFA are, therefore, abusing a dominant position.”

Organisers announced a revamped format for the plan in February which would see 64 teams competing in a multi-league competition.   They say a new-look Super League would be based only on “sporting merit” with no permanent members.

The proposal would see 64 teams compete across “Star, Gold and Blue Leagues”, in groups of eight with a guaranteed minimum of 14 matches per year.   There would be promotion and relegation between leagues, qualification via domestic competition while all games would be broadcast for free via a new digital streaming platform, organisers say.

A corresponding women’s competition comprised of 32 sides has also been proposed.

The UK government, which threatened to drop a “legislative bomb” to prevent English teams taking part when the ESL launched, said after the ruling on Thursday that a new independent football regulator would “stop clubs from joining any similar breakaway competitions in the future”.

A lot of what happens in football is potentially at odds with competition law,  Underlying this proposal is resentment elsewhere in Europe at the financial dominance of the Premier League.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's no deal say Spurs insiders over Taiwanese takeover

Senior figures at Tottenham Hotspur insisted on Friday that they had not been informed of any deal to sell Daniel Levy’s stake in the club. A business group, Eight Sports Capital — which is said to include a billionaire Taiwanese financier — claimed that it had an agreement in place to buy a 24.99 per cent stake in ENIC, the club’s majority owners, from Levy, who owns 29.88 per cent. The Times has been told Ng Wing Fai and Brooklyn Earick form part of the group, having both been linked previously to potential takeovers of the Premier League club. The Taiwanese businessman, Richard Tsai, is also said to be part of the consortium. He is reportedly worth £7 billion.  Last year Earick, the former DJ and tech entrepreneur, was part of an attempted £4.5 billion takeover, which was “unequivocally rejected” by Spurs.  An ENIC spokesperson said: “We can confirm that neither ENIC nor THFC are aware of any sale by Daniel Levy’s Family Trust of its minority stake in ENIC, THFC’...

Reports about Charlton sale exaggerated

Reports have appeared in The Guardian and elsewhere that Charlton has been put up for sale. Richard Cawley is an authoritative local journalist who runs a South London Sport substack site.  He reached out to the club yesterday evening to ask for comment on The Guardian’s article. Early indications from the club have been that nothing has changed since the story about them seeking investment, except that it is now a different company doing it. Charlton have since managed to consolidate their place in the Championship, avoiding an instant return to League One, with their women’s side promoted to the WSL, returning to the top flight for the first time since 2007, although staying there is likely to be costly. It would be counter-intuitive for owners Global Football Partners not to progress the club when looking for investment, that the focus remains on driving it forward, that their spend this summer is in line with long-term planning and will see an increase in wages spent on players...

Hull City's 'strange' loan

When football finance guru Kieran Maguire seems flashing lights in a club's loan deal, I become concerned.  He is the leading football finance expert in the UK. Hull City have borrowed £55m against their stadium and training ground yet they should get £30m from the Premier League before long.  What is going on? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpwel48y51do