Skip to main content

Multi-cub ownership on the rise

One of the most important trends in the world of football is multi-club ownership. According to UEFA’s latest benchmarking report, at the end of 2022 there were more than 180 clubs worldwide that were part of a multi-club investment structure, involving 6,500 players. This is nearly twice as many as four years before, while the number has increased fivefold since 2012.

Even that rapid growth is almost certainly understating the reality, as CIES Sports Intelligence identified more than 250 teams involved in multi-club ownership in March 2023.

The growth has been driven by a combination of macroeconomic factors and global investment trends. Financial weaknesses and inequalities in the game, exacerbated by the impact of the COVID pandemic, have resulted in buying opportunities.

The perceived under-valuation of the assets, i.e. football clubs, has attracted the attention of US-based investors, with 27 multi-club investment groups (a third of UEFA’s total number) originating in America.

Probably the best known example of multi-club ownership is City Football Group, largely owned by Abu Dhabi United Group (ADUG). They first acquired Manchester City in 2008, but have significantly expanded their empire since then with investments in another 12 clubs all around the world.

As a result, CFG is the oldest and by far the largest multi-club project, including clubs in Europe (Manchester City, Girona, Lommel SK, ES Troyes AC and Palermo), North America (New York City), South America (Montevideo City Torque, Club Bolivar and EC Bahia), Asia (Yokohama F. Marinos, Sichuan Jiuniu and Mumbai City) and Australia (Melbourne City).

CFG’s revenue nearly tripled from £271m in 2013 to £705m in 2022, and this will have grown to at least £805m in 2023, based on the increase in Manchester City’s turnover last season.   All that being said, the reality is that CFG continues to lose money. The group’s losses in the last decade add up to nearly £800m, including £138m in the last season alone.

Although a recent arrival, American fund 777 Partners already has stakes in seven clubs, while their offer for 94% of Everton is still awaiting approval from the Premier League. Its portfolio currently includes five European clubs (Sevilla, Genoa, Standard Liège, Red Star and Hertha BSC), one Brazilian (Vasco da Gama) and one Australian (Melbourne Victory).

Some clubs are clearly part of boosting the brand, while others are focused on developing talent. It’s also not necessarily a one-sided relationship, as clubs can benefit from belonging to a multi-club network, especially those that have fallen on hard times or are in a start-up phase.

Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano explained the attraction of football clubs as an investment, “The business of entertainment will grow and sport is a fundamental part of entertainment and football is the number one sport, no question. So the investment will work.”

A broader scouting network in different countries across the world helps clubs to identify local prospects early. They can sign emerging talent inexpensively in the early part of their career, rather than being subject to the vagaries of the transfer market at a later stage. The acquisition process is facilitated by being able to offer the chance of playing for a bigger club in the group.

The direction of travel seems fairly clear, as multi-club ownership is likely to continue to grow, even though there are now fewer opportunities available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's no deal say Spurs insiders over Taiwanese takeover

Senior figures at Tottenham Hotspur insisted on Friday that they had not been informed of any deal to sell Daniel Levy’s stake in the club. A business group, Eight Sports Capital — which is said to include a billionaire Taiwanese financier — claimed that it had an agreement in place to buy a 24.99 per cent stake in ENIC, the club’s majority owners, from Levy, who owns 29.88 per cent. The Times has been told Ng Wing Fai and Brooklyn Earick form part of the group, having both been linked previously to potential takeovers of the Premier League club. The Taiwanese businessman, Richard Tsai, is also said to be part of the consortium. He is reportedly worth £7 billion.  Last year Earick, the former DJ and tech entrepreneur, was part of an attempted £4.5 billion takeover, which was “unequivocally rejected” by Spurs.  An ENIC spokesperson said: “We can confirm that neither ENIC nor THFC are aware of any sale by Daniel Levy’s Family Trust of its minority stake in ENIC, THFC’...

Reports about Charlton sale exaggerated

Reports have appeared in The Guardian and elsewhere that Charlton has been put up for sale. Richard Cawley is an authoritative local journalist who runs a South London Sport substack site.  He reached out to the club yesterday evening to ask for comment on The Guardian’s article. Early indications from the club have been that nothing has changed since the story about them seeking investment, except that it is now a different company doing it. Charlton have since managed to consolidate their place in the Championship, avoiding an instant return to League One, with their women’s side promoted to the WSL, returning to the top flight for the first time since 2007, although staying there is likely to be costly. It would be counter-intuitive for owners Global Football Partners not to progress the club when looking for investment, that the focus remains on driving it forward, that their spend this summer is in line with long-term planning and will see an increase in wages spent on players...

Hull City's 'strange' loan

When football finance guru Kieran Maguire seems flashing lights in a club's loan deal, I become concerned.  He is the leading football finance expert in the UK. Hull City have borrowed £55m against their stadium and training ground yet they should get £30m from the Premier League before long.  What is going on? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpwel48y51do