Skip to main content

Abramovich turns down sale approach

A report that started with the Wall Street Journal but has been reproduced in the British press suggests that Roman Abramovich has rebuffed an inquiry from an American billionaire about buying Chelsea.

The approach was made by Ted Boehly who is the head of a Connecticut-based private investment firm. He is part owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team. The £3 billion asking price for Chelsea would make a big dent in his $5bn fortune.

Anyone who is going to buy Chelsea needs deep pockets as they would need to redevelop Stamford Bridge. Sir Jim Ratcliffe, Britain's richest man, had talks with Chelsea representatives, but considered the asking price to be poor value. He now owns Nice.

The Financial Times reported in August last year that Mr Abramovich had appointed Raine, a US merchant bank, to conduct a ‘strategic review’ of the club he bought in 2003, after receiving multiple offers from potential buyers. One of the offers came from Silver Lake who have now bought a stake in City Football Group.

Potential acquirers circled Chelsea last year amid an escalation in tensions between the UK and Russia following the poisoning of former Russian military intelligence officer Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury. Mr Abramovich later took Israeli citizenship after his application for a UK investor visa was delayed. Chelsea then shelved plans for a new £500m stadium in, citing an unfavourable investment climate.

Although he has not attended a Chelsea match since the visa delay, Mr Abramovich remains actively involved in club affairs and is happy to follow the team on television. The oligarch is prepared to consider offers that meet his £3bn valuation, the people said, but had yet to receive one.

'He’s not raring [to sell],' a person who helped Mr Abramovich buy the football club told the Pink 'Un. 'His asking price is prohibitive, but if he gets it, then maybe he will.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's no deal say Spurs insiders over Taiwanese takeover

Senior figures at Tottenham Hotspur insisted on Friday that they had not been informed of any deal to sell Daniel Levy’s stake in the club. A business group, Eight Sports Capital — which is said to include a billionaire Taiwanese financier — claimed that it had an agreement in place to buy a 24.99 per cent stake in ENIC, the club’s majority owners, from Levy, who owns 29.88 per cent. The Times has been told Ng Wing Fai and Brooklyn Earick form part of the group, having both been linked previously to potential takeovers of the Premier League club. The Taiwanese businessman, Richard Tsai, is also said to be part of the consortium. He is reportedly worth £7 billion.  Last year Earick, the former DJ and tech entrepreneur, was part of an attempted £4.5 billion takeover, which was “unequivocally rejected” by Spurs.  An ENIC spokesperson said: “We can confirm that neither ENIC nor THFC are aware of any sale by Daniel Levy’s Family Trust of its minority stake in ENIC, THFC’...

Reports about Charlton sale exaggerated

Reports have appeared in The Guardian and elsewhere that Charlton has been put up for sale. Richard Cawley is an authoritative local journalist who runs a South London Sport substack site.  He reached out to the club yesterday evening to ask for comment on The Guardian’s article. Early indications from the club have been that nothing has changed since the story about them seeking investment, except that it is now a different company doing it. Charlton have since managed to consolidate their place in the Championship, avoiding an instant return to League One, with their women’s side promoted to the WSL, returning to the top flight for the first time since 2007, although staying there is likely to be costly. It would be counter-intuitive for owners Global Football Partners not to progress the club when looking for investment, that the focus remains on driving it forward, that their spend this summer is in line with long-term planning and will see an increase in wages spent on players...

Hull City's 'strange' loan

When football finance guru Kieran Maguire seems flashing lights in a club's loan deal, I become concerned.  He is the leading football finance expert in the UK. Hull City have borrowed £55m against their stadium and training ground yet they should get £30m from the Premier League before long.  What is going on? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpwel48y51do