Skip to main content

Piracy case ruling jeopardises Newcastle takeover

The Saudi-backed takeover of Newcastle United has been placed in jeopardy by a report by the World Trade Organisation that found Saudi Arabia in breach of intellectual property rules by the broadcaster beoutQ, an Arabic language network.  This followed a complaint by Qatar about piracy of Premier League matches.

Qatar argued that beoutQ was streaming content rightfully owned by its broadcaster beIN Sports that has paid billions of dollars for exclusive rights to major sporting events.    In addition to piracy on social media, giant screens were used to allow viewing of 2018 World Cup matches.

The 125-page report is indigestible even for someone who knows something about international trade law, but the key passage is on p.90:
[The evidence]  supports Qatar's assertions that: (a) beoutQ's piracy was promoted by prominent Saudi nationals, (b) beoutQ targets the Saudi market, (c) beoutQ's pirate broadcasts are transmitted via Arabsat satellite frequencies, and (d) beoutQ has received assistance from a Saudi content distributor in delivering its pirated broadcasts to Saudi consumers. Taking these conclusions together, and recalling the applicable standard of proof and evidentiary principles in WTO dispute settlement571, the Panel considers that Qatar has established a prima facie case that beoutQ is operated by individuals or entities subject to the criminal jurisdiction of Saudi Arabia. 

Uefa commented, 'What is clear is that beoutQ's broadcasts constitute piracy of Uefa's matches and, as such, are illegal.'  The Premier League declined to comment.   However, it is open to question whether the Premier League can approve the takeover given that it has previously tried unsuccessfully to take legal action against the piracy in Saudi Arabia.   

It is more than ten weeks since the Premier League instructed its lawyers to see if the takeover complies with its owners' and directors' test.  This allows potential owners to be barred if they have committed an act in a foreign jurisdiction that would be considered a criminal offence in the UK, even if not illegal in their home territory.

Those involved in the takeover argue that the Saudi public investment fund people involved with it are not linked to the piracy, even if the fund is government-controlled.  The Saudi Government insisted that it had been cleared of copyright piracy and the WTO had accepted its national security explanations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's no deal say Spurs insiders over Taiwanese takeover

Senior figures at Tottenham Hotspur insisted on Friday that they had not been informed of any deal to sell Daniel Levy’s stake in the club. A business group, Eight Sports Capital — which is said to include a billionaire Taiwanese financier — claimed that it had an agreement in place to buy a 24.99 per cent stake in ENIC, the club’s majority owners, from Levy, who owns 29.88 per cent. The Times has been told Ng Wing Fai and Brooklyn Earick form part of the group, having both been linked previously to potential takeovers of the Premier League club. The Taiwanese businessman, Richard Tsai, is also said to be part of the consortium. He is reportedly worth £7 billion.  Last year Earick, the former DJ and tech entrepreneur, was part of an attempted £4.5 billion takeover, which was “unequivocally rejected” by Spurs.  An ENIC spokesperson said: “We can confirm that neither ENIC nor THFC are aware of any sale by Daniel Levy’s Family Trust of its minority stake in ENIC, THFC’...

Reports about Charlton sale exaggerated

Reports have appeared in The Guardian and elsewhere that Charlton has been put up for sale. Richard Cawley is an authoritative local journalist who runs a South London Sport substack site.  He reached out to the club yesterday evening to ask for comment on The Guardian’s article. Early indications from the club have been that nothing has changed since the story about them seeking investment, except that it is now a different company doing it. Charlton have since managed to consolidate their place in the Championship, avoiding an instant return to League One, with their women’s side promoted to the WSL, returning to the top flight for the first time since 2007, although staying there is likely to be costly. It would be counter-intuitive for owners Global Football Partners not to progress the club when looking for investment, that the focus remains on driving it forward, that their spend this summer is in line with long-term planning and will see an increase in wages spent on players...

Hull City's 'strange' loan

When football finance guru Kieran Maguire seems flashing lights in a club's loan deal, I become concerned.  He is the leading football finance expert in the UK. Hull City have borrowed £55m against their stadium and training ground yet they should get £30m from the Premier League before long.  What is going on? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpwel48y51do