Skip to main content

Can Wrexham sustain its success?

Humphrey Ker, speaking on the eve of the release of the third season of Welcome to Wrexham, is candidly discussing the day when the Emmy award-winning docuseries will come to an end.

“At some stage the documentary will go away,” Ker, the club’s executive director and star of the hit Disney+ series, admits to The Times. “That’s inevitable. It may not be next year — in fact, it won’t be next year — and it may not be the year after that, or the year after that. But at some stage, I think, there won’t be a season 12 of Welcome to Wrexham. And we will need to be able to stand on our own two feet when it comes.

“We will need to retain the fans we have now because we have this extraordinary global fanbase and we want them to be as engaged when we are battling away at the top end of the Championship or the lower half of the Premier League without the documentary to create the ‘soap opera’ around it, which is a big part of what people love.”

What we’re generating now is extraordinary. The volume of visitors we’re drawing to Wrexham is staggering. “If those people are willing to fly from Australia, Canada, America, Germany, Iceland, Norway, Italy, Slovakia — these are people I’ve met in the club car park in the last two weeks — you hope that level of commitment suggests a lifelong buy-in to the football club. But we’ll see.”

There certainly does not appear to be any end in sight for a series that has catapulted the club’s revenue towards £20million a year and catalysed consecutive promotions to League One, three years after the Hollywood actor Ryan Reynolds and fellow actor and writer McElhenney bought the club.

The club receives no money directly from the documentary. Instead, the benefits come from the exposure provided by the show, which has yielded sponsorships with global businesses such as United Airlines, SToK Coffee Brew and HP. Google recently proclaimed Wrexham to be more popular in the United States than every team in its domestic top flight, Major League Soccer (MLS), other than Lionel Messi’s Inter Miami.

There is plenty of mileage left in Welcome to Wrexham, then, but could the club’s progression accelerate too fast? “There’s much debate within our fanbase at the moment,” Ker says. “We will go all out to achieve what we can achieve. But if we end up in tenth or 12th, I won’t be rending my shirt and tearing my hair out, because that will allow us a season of consolidation in League One.

“We need to make sure that what we’re doing is sustainable. We need the infrastructure of the club to catch up with the first team.”

Is there a touch of hubris to Wrexham, or is it a story of revival in a city that has faced its share of challenges?   The supporters kept the club going for many years against the odds and they deserve some time in the sunshine. - just as long as they don't fly too close to the sun.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's no deal say Spurs insiders over Taiwanese takeover

Senior figures at Tottenham Hotspur insisted on Friday that they had not been informed of any deal to sell Daniel Levy’s stake in the club. A business group, Eight Sports Capital — which is said to include a billionaire Taiwanese financier — claimed that it had an agreement in place to buy a 24.99 per cent stake in ENIC, the club’s majority owners, from Levy, who owns 29.88 per cent. The Times has been told Ng Wing Fai and Brooklyn Earick form part of the group, having both been linked previously to potential takeovers of the Premier League club. The Taiwanese businessman, Richard Tsai, is also said to be part of the consortium. He is reportedly worth £7 billion.  Last year Earick, the former DJ and tech entrepreneur, was part of an attempted £4.5 billion takeover, which was “unequivocally rejected” by Spurs.  An ENIC spokesperson said: “We can confirm that neither ENIC nor THFC are aware of any sale by Daniel Levy’s Family Trust of its minority stake in ENIC, THFC’...

Reports about Charlton sale exaggerated

Reports have appeared in The Guardian and elsewhere that Charlton has been put up for sale. Richard Cawley is an authoritative local journalist who runs a South London Sport substack site.  He reached out to the club yesterday evening to ask for comment on The Guardian’s article. Early indications from the club have been that nothing has changed since the story about them seeking investment, except that it is now a different company doing it. Charlton have since managed to consolidate their place in the Championship, avoiding an instant return to League One, with their women’s side promoted to the WSL, returning to the top flight for the first time since 2007, although staying there is likely to be costly. It would be counter-intuitive for owners Global Football Partners not to progress the club when looking for investment, that the focus remains on driving it forward, that their spend this summer is in line with long-term planning and will see an increase in wages spent on players...

Hull City's 'strange' loan

When football finance guru Kieran Maguire seems flashing lights in a club's loan deal, I become concerned.  He is the leading football finance expert in the UK. Hull City have borrowed £55m against their stadium and training ground yet they should get £30m from the Premier League before long.  What is going on? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpwel48y51do