Skip to main content

Forest probably on right side of loss rules

Nottingham Forest have been reported as a club at risk of breaching the Premier League’s rules on profit and sustainability.

The PSR guidelines see clubs permitted to lose a maximum of £105million ($132.6m) over a three-year period. But Forest have only been in the Premier League for a year of the last three-year period, which means their permissible losses are even smaller.

Forest’s losses would be capped at £61million, which breaks down as £13m for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 seasons when they were in the Championship, plus £35m for last season, their first back in the top-flight.

Football finance guru Kieran Maguire states: ‘Based on figures from final Championship season I estimate that Forest sneaked in just under the £39 million limit for the three seasons (as averaged out for 2019/20 and 20/21). Lot will depend on wages and amortisation for 22/23 as to whether they are below the £61m max.’

Selling Brendan Johnson was always a key part of the plan for Forest. Because he is an academy product, Forest did not spend a transfer fee on the Wales international to sign him. Any sale is pure profit. (The merits of a system that encourages clubs to sell their best young players for financial reasons can be discussed another day.)

But for Forest, it meant that they could invest a significant amount of money in the transfer market again.

The second reason Johnson’s sale is important is because of when it went through. The financial year for which Forest are being assessed ends on June 30 — and Johnson was not sold until September 1, when he moved to Tottenham Hotspur.

Forest could have sold him earlier in the window when they had offers of around £30million on the table from Brentford. But selling him at that point would have meant accepting a markedly lower price. It made sense to wait until later in the window when they ended up selling him for £47.5m.

The club, throughout the process, were in conversation with the Premier League, briefing them on the situation and pointing out that it made financial sense. Forest were in constant contact with the league throughout the summer.

But Forest feel they have always been diligent when it comes to remaining on the right side of the spending limits, including when it came to getting the best possible fee for a player they always knew they needed to sell.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's no deal say Spurs insiders over Taiwanese takeover

Senior figures at Tottenham Hotspur insisted on Friday that they had not been informed of any deal to sell Daniel Levy’s stake in the club. A business group, Eight Sports Capital — which is said to include a billionaire Taiwanese financier — claimed that it had an agreement in place to buy a 24.99 per cent stake in ENIC, the club’s majority owners, from Levy, who owns 29.88 per cent. The Times has been told Ng Wing Fai and Brooklyn Earick form part of the group, having both been linked previously to potential takeovers of the Premier League club. The Taiwanese businessman, Richard Tsai, is also said to be part of the consortium. He is reportedly worth £7 billion.  Last year Earick, the former DJ and tech entrepreneur, was part of an attempted £4.5 billion takeover, which was “unequivocally rejected” by Spurs.  An ENIC spokesperson said: “We can confirm that neither ENIC nor THFC are aware of any sale by Daniel Levy’s Family Trust of its minority stake in ENIC, THFC’...

Reports about Charlton sale exaggerated

Reports have appeared in The Guardian and elsewhere that Charlton has been put up for sale. Richard Cawley is an authoritative local journalist who runs a South London Sport substack site.  He reached out to the club yesterday evening to ask for comment on The Guardian’s article. Early indications from the club have been that nothing has changed since the story about them seeking investment, except that it is now a different company doing it. Charlton have since managed to consolidate their place in the Championship, avoiding an instant return to League One, with their women’s side promoted to the WSL, returning to the top flight for the first time since 2007, although staying there is likely to be costly. It would be counter-intuitive for owners Global Football Partners not to progress the club when looking for investment, that the focus remains on driving it forward, that their spend this summer is in line with long-term planning and will see an increase in wages spent on players...

Hull City's 'strange' loan

When football finance guru Kieran Maguire seems flashing lights in a club's loan deal, I become concerned.  He is the leading football finance expert in the UK. Hull City have borrowed £55m against their stadium and training ground yet they should get £30m from the Premier League before long.  What is going on? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpwel48y51do