Skip to main content

Palace move towards financial sustainability

Crystal Palace 2022/23 revenue was £180m up 12%, reports Kieran Maguire. Wages (staff and players) were £130m up 5%. Player purchases £56m. Player sales £0.3m

Revenue up mainly due to higher income of £15m as higher international deals in Premer League and as the end of the Covid rebate to broadcasters kicks in.

Steve Parish pay was up £457k to £2.157m.   Worth every penny?   Some fans might have their doubts to put it mildly.

Player purchases £56million. Players who originally cost the club £52m were sold/left the club for £300k.

Progress towards becoming more sustainable moved forward significantly over the past year, with senior players departing at the end of their contracts and an overhaul of the squad age.

That bears out in their latest set of financial results, which show a pre-tax loss of £24.2 million ($30m) for the 12 months to June 30, 2022, down by £16 million from a year earlier (£40.3m).

This latest set of accounts shows Palace’s strategy, although in its early stages, appears to be bearing fruit. But there is a long way to go and possibly some tough decisions still to take.

Football clubs rarely make a profit, but Palace’s losses have reduced, their wage bill for players has dropped from £112.3m to £101m, and the ratio of wages to turnover has reduced by over 20 per cent, from 84 per cent to 63 per cent. Overall the wage bill fell to £123.8m from £130.3m.

Essentially, the amount of money Palace are making from TV deals, gate receipts and sponsorship is greater than the day-to-day running of the club, but when the cost of players’ contracts is taken into account, it is lower by £20m.

As ever, TV money is critical to the financial stability of the club — as it is for almost every Premier League club — and accounts for the overwhelming majority of revenue.

“If you look at top-level revenue, profit and loss and the investment in, they are in an OK position,” says football finance expert Dan Plumley. “The losses have reduced. It’s OK, it’s a usual set of accounts for a Premier League club outside the big six.

“The critical thing is the broadcasting and the principal risk is divisional status. You have to retain Premier League status year after year or you’ve got a problem on your hands.

“Turnover is up, losses have reduced and new investment has enabled the balance sheet to improve. Coming out of a really challenging couple of years with the pandemic, it’s a relatively OK set of accounts for a football club.”

Palace’s position in the Premier League may look a little perilous, but the leading South London club have enough quality to stay up and attempt to move forward on the pitch next season.

 

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's no deal say Spurs insiders over Taiwanese takeover

Senior figures at Tottenham Hotspur insisted on Friday that they had not been informed of any deal to sell Daniel Levy’s stake in the club. A business group, Eight Sports Capital — which is said to include a billionaire Taiwanese financier — claimed that it had an agreement in place to buy a 24.99 per cent stake in ENIC, the club’s majority owners, from Levy, who owns 29.88 per cent. The Times has been told Ng Wing Fai and Brooklyn Earick form part of the group, having both been linked previously to potential takeovers of the Premier League club. The Taiwanese businessman, Richard Tsai, is also said to be part of the consortium. He is reportedly worth £7 billion.  Last year Earick, the former DJ and tech entrepreneur, was part of an attempted £4.5 billion takeover, which was “unequivocally rejected” by Spurs.  An ENIC spokesperson said: “We can confirm that neither ENIC nor THFC are aware of any sale by Daniel Levy’s Family Trust of its minority stake in ENIC, THFC’...

Reports about Charlton sale exaggerated

Reports have appeared in The Guardian and elsewhere that Charlton has been put up for sale. Richard Cawley is an authoritative local journalist who runs a South London Sport substack site.  He reached out to the club yesterday evening to ask for comment on The Guardian’s article. Early indications from the club have been that nothing has changed since the story about them seeking investment, except that it is now a different company doing it. Charlton have since managed to consolidate their place in the Championship, avoiding an instant return to League One, with their women’s side promoted to the WSL, returning to the top flight for the first time since 2007, although staying there is likely to be costly. It would be counter-intuitive for owners Global Football Partners not to progress the club when looking for investment, that the focus remains on driving it forward, that their spend this summer is in line with long-term planning and will see an increase in wages spent on players...

Hull City's 'strange' loan

When football finance guru Kieran Maguire seems flashing lights in a club's loan deal, I become concerned.  He is the leading football finance expert in the UK. Hull City have borrowed £55m against their stadium and training ground yet they should get £30m from the Premier League before long.  What is going on? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpwel48y51do