Skip to main content

United consider new 100,000 capacity stadium

Manchester United will decide by the end of the year if they want to revamp Old Trafford or build a new 100,000-seat stadium on the grounds of their present home.

Sir Jim Ratcliffe, the Ineos chairman who owns 27.7 per cent of the club, has told the stadium taskforce that was set up in April that they should report back in December with their findings.

At present, the taskforce, which is led by Lord Coe and includes figures such as Gary Neville and the mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham, is leaning towards recommending that a new stadium is built in the car park area behind the Stretford End, rather than a revamp of the existing ground. However, the club say that no final decision has been made.

The taskforce acknowledges that building a new stadium would be costly, at an estimated £2billion, and says that any decision will not be made without canvassing the opinions of the supporters.

The club have already asked 30,000 fans for their thoughts in a survey. A subcommittee of the taskforce is set to be appointed, including a representative of the Manchester United Supporters’ Trust, to gauge the mood of fans.

The club are not ruling out a revamp of the present stadium and it would be the cheaper option, at an estimated cost of £1billion, but United would also lose match-day revenue because they would probably have to close part of the 74,100-capacity stadium while building works are undertaken.  The club have about 51,000 season-ticket holders.

If United do build a new stadium, they have vowed to ensure that the arena is in keeping with United’s traditions. Landmarks such as the Holy Trinity Statue, depicting Sir Bobby Charlton, George Best and Denis Law, would be protected.

It is anticipated that a new stadium would take six years from the point of inception to the end of construction. United would be able to play in the present stadium, built in 1910, while a new ground is built.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's no deal say Spurs insiders over Taiwanese takeover

Senior figures at Tottenham Hotspur insisted on Friday that they had not been informed of any deal to sell Daniel Levy’s stake in the club. A business group, Eight Sports Capital — which is said to include a billionaire Taiwanese financier — claimed that it had an agreement in place to buy a 24.99 per cent stake in ENIC, the club’s majority owners, from Levy, who owns 29.88 per cent. The Times has been told Ng Wing Fai and Brooklyn Earick form part of the group, having both been linked previously to potential takeovers of the Premier League club. The Taiwanese businessman, Richard Tsai, is also said to be part of the consortium. He is reportedly worth £7 billion.  Last year Earick, the former DJ and tech entrepreneur, was part of an attempted £4.5 billion takeover, which was “unequivocally rejected” by Spurs.  An ENIC spokesperson said: “We can confirm that neither ENIC nor THFC are aware of any sale by Daniel Levy’s Family Trust of its minority stake in ENIC, THFC’...

Reports about Charlton sale exaggerated

Reports have appeared in The Guardian and elsewhere that Charlton has been put up for sale. Richard Cawley is an authoritative local journalist who runs a South London Sport substack site.  He reached out to the club yesterday evening to ask for comment on The Guardian’s article. Early indications from the club have been that nothing has changed since the story about them seeking investment, except that it is now a different company doing it. Charlton have since managed to consolidate their place in the Championship, avoiding an instant return to League One, with their women’s side promoted to the WSL, returning to the top flight for the first time since 2007, although staying there is likely to be costly. It would be counter-intuitive for owners Global Football Partners not to progress the club when looking for investment, that the focus remains on driving it forward, that their spend this summer is in line with long-term planning and will see an increase in wages spent on players...

Hull City's 'strange' loan

When football finance guru Kieran Maguire seems flashing lights in a club's loan deal, I become concerned.  He is the leading football finance expert in the UK. Hull City have borrowed £55m against their stadium and training ground yet they should get £30m from the Premier League before long.  What is going on? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpwel48y51do