Skip to main content

Real Madrid could bring in outside investors

Real Madrid are stepping up plans towards a radical change in their ownership structure — one that would allow external investors to purchase stakes in the club for the very first time.

Madrid have been owned by their socios (club members) since being founded in 1902 and any adjustments to that model would require them to approve it in a vote. Only three other clubs have the same structure in Spanish football — Athletic Club, Osasuna and Barcelona.

Madrid are the only club in world football to have recorded revenues over €1billion (£870million; $1.2bn), a total reached over the 2023-24 season according to a Deloitte report (€1.045.5bn was the exact figure).

Despite this, Madrid’s president, Florentino Perez, has spoken about how being owned by members holds them back in certain ways, especially when competing in the transfer market with rival clubs backed by billionaires or sovereign wealth funds.

Madrid’s president is now set to present new details and further plans to move towards these changes at the upcoming general assembly for 2025. No date has been set for the event, but it is expected to be held before the end of November.

One idea that has already been discussed internally would see Real Madrid being effectively split into two different entities — separating the football side from the business side. In this way, socios would still technically retain ownership, while investors would be invited to purchase shares in the club’s business operations.

The Bernabeu hierarchy are well aware of the value of their club. One source suggested Madrid could be worth as much as €10billion — the same as the Dallas Cowboys, the NFL’s most valuable franchise.

No matter what new model is chosen, any money raised from investors would go into the club: to strengthen the team, or go towards paying the Bernabeu redevelopment costs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's no deal say Spurs insiders over Taiwanese takeover

Senior figures at Tottenham Hotspur insisted on Friday that they had not been informed of any deal to sell Daniel Levy’s stake in the club. A business group, Eight Sports Capital — which is said to include a billionaire Taiwanese financier — claimed that it had an agreement in place to buy a 24.99 per cent stake in ENIC, the club’s majority owners, from Levy, who owns 29.88 per cent. The Times has been told Ng Wing Fai and Brooklyn Earick form part of the group, having both been linked previously to potential takeovers of the Premier League club. The Taiwanese businessman, Richard Tsai, is also said to be part of the consortium. He is reportedly worth £7 billion.  Last year Earick, the former DJ and tech entrepreneur, was part of an attempted £4.5 billion takeover, which was “unequivocally rejected” by Spurs.  An ENIC spokesperson said: “We can confirm that neither ENIC nor THFC are aware of any sale by Daniel Levy’s Family Trust of its minority stake in ENIC, THFC’...

Reports about Charlton sale exaggerated

Reports have appeared in The Guardian and elsewhere that Charlton has been put up for sale. Richard Cawley is an authoritative local journalist who runs a South London Sport substack site.  He reached out to the club yesterday evening to ask for comment on The Guardian’s article. Early indications from the club have been that nothing has changed since the story about them seeking investment, except that it is now a different company doing it. Charlton have since managed to consolidate their place in the Championship, avoiding an instant return to League One, with their women’s side promoted to the WSL, returning to the top flight for the first time since 2007, although staying there is likely to be costly. It would be counter-intuitive for owners Global Football Partners not to progress the club when looking for investment, that the focus remains on driving it forward, that their spend this summer is in line with long-term planning and will see an increase in wages spent on players...

Hull City's 'strange' loan

When football finance guru Kieran Maguire seems flashing lights in a club's loan deal, I become concerned.  He is the leading football finance expert in the UK. Hull City have borrowed £55m against their stadium and training ground yet they should get £30m from the Premier League before long.  What is going on? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpwel48y51do