Skip to main content

Wolves face Championship challenge

If the dark cloud of Wolverhampton Wanderers’ horrific season has one grim silver lining, it is that they have had plenty of opportunity to prepare for the worst. In fact, for the past few months, the powers that be at Molineux have been planning for the inevitable.

It should be noted, however, that the highly competitive Championship is different from the top flight and adjusting after seven years away will be a challenge.

Now, with relegation finally certain, interim chairman Nathan Shi and the rest of the Wolves hierarchy have the chance to prove that the rare luxury of time has not been wasted. Their challenges are many and varied, but the key aims include:

  • Managing a huge summer of squad changes, with sales needed to help bridge the income drop created by relegation
  • Taking advantage of risky January sales by ensuring the bulk of Edwards’ new squad is in place for the majority of pre-season
  • Winning around angry fans and persuading back former season ticket holders who have been priced out during the Premier League years
  • Improving on commercial performances to help supplement football income
  • Finding a way to improve the Molineux experience for fans
  • Implementing Edwards’ plan for exciting, aggressive football.

The state of the club’s finances was laid bare up to a point this month with the publication of their 2024-25 accounts, which showed a £15.3 million ($21m) loss despite a club-record £117m in player profits.

Income has already dropped in recent seasons due to lower Premier League finishes and, last season, fewer live games on television.

This season, broadcast income will likely drop again, with each Premier League place expected to be worth more than £3 million in Premier League prize money, meaning a drop from 16th place last season to 19th or 20th this term will reduce merit-based income by between £10m and £15m. That drop-off should be, at least in part, mitigated by the start of a new Premier League TV cycle this season, and the increased revenues it brings.

Even with a parachute payment amounting to 55 per cent of a basic Premier League broadcast allocation in year one in the Championship, Wolves’ turnover can be expected to drop well below the nine-figure sums top-flight clubs can bring in.   In addition, Wolves anticipate a drop of around 30 per cent in this season’s £14million season-ticket income due to the promised price reductions.

Players’ contracts include wage-reduction clauses amounting to roughly 50 per cent in the event of relegation and Wolves will make further savings when some of the higher earners inevitably move on, but there will still be a gap between income and expenditure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's no deal say Spurs insiders over Taiwanese takeover

Senior figures at Tottenham Hotspur insisted on Friday that they had not been informed of any deal to sell Daniel Levy’s stake in the club. A business group, Eight Sports Capital — which is said to include a billionaire Taiwanese financier — claimed that it had an agreement in place to buy a 24.99 per cent stake in ENIC, the club’s majority owners, from Levy, who owns 29.88 per cent. The Times has been told Ng Wing Fai and Brooklyn Earick form part of the group, having both been linked previously to potential takeovers of the Premier League club. The Taiwanese businessman, Richard Tsai, is also said to be part of the consortium. He is reportedly worth £7 billion.  Last year Earick, the former DJ and tech entrepreneur, was part of an attempted £4.5 billion takeover, which was “unequivocally rejected” by Spurs.  An ENIC spokesperson said: “We can confirm that neither ENIC nor THFC are aware of any sale by Daniel Levy’s Family Trust of its minority stake in ENIC, THFC’...

Reports about Charlton sale exaggerated

Reports have appeared in The Guardian and elsewhere that Charlton has been put up for sale. Richard Cawley is an authoritative local journalist who runs a South London Sport substack site.  He reached out to the club yesterday evening to ask for comment on The Guardian’s article. Early indications from the club have been that nothing has changed since the story about them seeking investment, except that it is now a different company doing it. Charlton have since managed to consolidate their place in the Championship, avoiding an instant return to League One, with their women’s side promoted to the WSL, returning to the top flight for the first time since 2007, although staying there is likely to be costly. It would be counter-intuitive for owners Global Football Partners not to progress the club when looking for investment, that the focus remains on driving it forward, that their spend this summer is in line with long-term planning and will see an increase in wages spent on players...

Hull City's 'strange' loan

When football finance guru Kieran Maguire seems flashing lights in a club's loan deal, I become concerned.  He is the leading football finance expert in the UK. Hull City have borrowed £55m against their stadium and training ground yet they should get £30m from the Premier League before long.  What is going on? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpwel48y51do