Skip to main content

Former Ipswich chairman's optimism

David Sheepshanks’s beloved club used to be run by those colourful bon viveurs John and Patrick Cobbold, the brothers who said their idea of a crisis was running out of white wine in the boardroom. Sheepshanks has shared his memories with The Times as he publishes his autobiography.  He has survived bowel cancer.

When Sheepshanks took over as chairman in 1995 he ended decades of the Cobbolds’ benign dynasty. He tells a story of a game against Arsenal when the Portman Road boardroom was stocked with six bottles of gin, six bottles of whisky, six bottles of white wine, six bottles of red wine, and six sausage rolls. By the end of the day most of the booze was long gone but there were still five untouched sausage rolls. “And Patrick Cobbold held an inquest as to who the hell had eaten the one sausage roll.”

“Ipswich was a beautifully run club. But if I draw an analogy in the nicest possible way, it was sort of like a golf club. It was all quite staid and traditional. It needed modernising and professionalising.”

He was chairman from 1995 to 2009, a period in which the club became one of many buffeted and marginalised by the turbulence and unpredictability of football finance and the nascent Premier League. There were promotions and the thrill of taking on Inter Milan in Europe. “We took 9,500 fans to Milan. I’m standing in Piazza Duomo, where the cathedral is, with thousands and thousands of Suffolk people.”

But also relegations and worse. The collapse of ITV Digital contributed to the tailspin of £54million in debts and voluntary administration. “That was humiliating and awful and took a lot out of all of us.”

Ipswich spent 22 seasons outside the top flight and even dropped to League One. Clubs of comparable status overtook them and consolidated in the Premier League. “I look with envy today at the amount of interest in investing in English football from the American market and the Middle East and so forth. It’s huge. It just wasn’t there then.

I spent four years searching for investors. Luckily the community backed me. I said I will take responsibility for what’s gone wrong and I will take responsibility for trying to put it right. And I think we did.” Eventually he struck a deal with the businessman Marcus Evans.

“We could have established Ipswich as like Brighton, Brentford or Bournemouth today. I mean, hats off to them, they’ve all done well. But they’ve got a lot of money behind them, all three of them. It does feel tough. We could so easily have gone on and established ourselves like them, as I think we will now.”

ive years ago, Evans sold his controlling stake to the American investment fund ORG and the ownership was then split around other mainly American consortia.

“We won’t mention any names, but there are a few pundit tossers who just say, ‘Well of course they’ll go down.’ They say it about us without having a clue about what we’re doing. The difference now is you’ve not only got a massive windfall for being in the Premier League you’ve also got an equally massive capitalisation of the club, or funding of the club, which is probably just as big if not bigger. That is what is separating Ipswich out from some of the other promoted clubs.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's no deal say Spurs insiders over Taiwanese takeover

Senior figures at Tottenham Hotspur insisted on Friday that they had not been informed of any deal to sell Daniel Levy’s stake in the club. A business group, Eight Sports Capital — which is said to include a billionaire Taiwanese financier — claimed that it had an agreement in place to buy a 24.99 per cent stake in ENIC, the club’s majority owners, from Levy, who owns 29.88 per cent. The Times has been told Ng Wing Fai and Brooklyn Earick form part of the group, having both been linked previously to potential takeovers of the Premier League club. The Taiwanese businessman, Richard Tsai, is also said to be part of the consortium. He is reportedly worth £7 billion.  Last year Earick, the former DJ and tech entrepreneur, was part of an attempted £4.5 billion takeover, which was “unequivocally rejected” by Spurs.  An ENIC spokesperson said: “We can confirm that neither ENIC nor THFC are aware of any sale by Daniel Levy’s Family Trust of its minority stake in ENIC, THFC’...

Reports about Charlton sale exaggerated

Reports have appeared in The Guardian and elsewhere that Charlton has been put up for sale. Richard Cawley is an authoritative local journalist who runs a South London Sport substack site.  He reached out to the club yesterday evening to ask for comment on The Guardian’s article. Early indications from the club have been that nothing has changed since the story about them seeking investment, except that it is now a different company doing it. Charlton have since managed to consolidate their place in the Championship, avoiding an instant return to League One, with their women’s side promoted to the WSL, returning to the top flight for the first time since 2007, although staying there is likely to be costly. It would be counter-intuitive for owners Global Football Partners not to progress the club when looking for investment, that the focus remains on driving it forward, that their spend this summer is in line with long-term planning and will see an increase in wages spent on players...

Hull City's 'strange' loan

When football finance guru Kieran Maguire seems flashing lights in a club's loan deal, I become concerned.  He is the leading football finance expert in the UK. Hull City have borrowed £55m against their stadium and training ground yet they should get £30m from the Premier League before long.  What is going on? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpwel48y51do