Skip to main content

No points deduction for Chelsea

Chelsea have been fined £10 million ($13.4m) and given a suspended transfer ban following an investigation into 74 alleged breaches of the English Football Association’s regulations.

The club were also initially hit with a suspended six-point deduction by an independent regulatory commission, which handed out the punishments, before this was overturned on appeal. Chelsea were instead given a two-window transfer ban, which is suspended until June 30, 2027. The FA can apply to activate that ban if any Chelsea are deemed to have potentially committed any similar breaches.

The breaches relate to a period of time between 2009 and 2022 and “primarily events that occurred between the 2010-11 to 2015-16 playing seasons” — when Roman Abramovich was still owner of Chelsea — the FA said.

The latest decision brings the amount of money Chelsea have been fined to more than £18m, after UEFA imposed a €10 million (£8.6m, $11m at the time) sanction in July 2023 concerning the same offences.

Chelsea said last year their current owners —  the investor consortium BlueCo, led by Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital — self-reported the issue when a “due diligence” process revealed “potentially incomplete financial reporting concerning historical transactions and other potential breaches of FA rules”. The club called their cooperation “unprecedented transparency”.

The New York Times argues: 'That is what is known, in old-fashioned parlance, as a “result”. No court in the land would ever be so lenient as to lop off almost two-thirds of a punishment this way. Inside the football bubble, however, the rules are different. The FA, as such, has let Chelsea off by almost £15m.'

So, all in all, Chelsea can reflect that it hasn’t turned out too badly. Their owners have endured a lot of scrutiny for not being able to sustain the success of the Abramovich era. In this case, however, they are entitled to claim the moral high ground. More relevantly, the fine is not going to hurt them to any real degree.

Manchester City

There has been speculation that the decision may have implications for Manchester City who have faced 115 charges for alleged financial irregularities.  It is, after all, almost three and a half years since the Premier League announced the charges. The legal process is slow — glacier-like, indeed — and it can feel almost ludicrous that we are still waiting for a verdict and have no idea when one is coming. The hearing, led by an independent commission, concluded in December 2024.

All that can be said for certain is that City are another club with the wealth to deal with a fine as if it were no more trouble than swatting away a bothersome fly. So we can safely assume they will have been taking a keen interest in what has happened to Chelsea and, in particular, the absence of any sporting sanctions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's no deal say Spurs insiders over Taiwanese takeover

Senior figures at Tottenham Hotspur insisted on Friday that they had not been informed of any deal to sell Daniel Levy’s stake in the club. A business group, Eight Sports Capital — which is said to include a billionaire Taiwanese financier — claimed that it had an agreement in place to buy a 24.99 per cent stake in ENIC, the club’s majority owners, from Levy, who owns 29.88 per cent. The Times has been told Ng Wing Fai and Brooklyn Earick form part of the group, having both been linked previously to potential takeovers of the Premier League club. The Taiwanese businessman, Richard Tsai, is also said to be part of the consortium. He is reportedly worth £7 billion.  Last year Earick, the former DJ and tech entrepreneur, was part of an attempted £4.5 billion takeover, which was “unequivocally rejected” by Spurs.  An ENIC spokesperson said: “We can confirm that neither ENIC nor THFC are aware of any sale by Daniel Levy’s Family Trust of its minority stake in ENIC, THFC’...

Reports about Charlton sale exaggerated

Reports have appeared in The Guardian and elsewhere that Charlton has been put up for sale. Richard Cawley is an authoritative local journalist who runs a South London Sport substack site.  He reached out to the club yesterday evening to ask for comment on The Guardian’s article. Early indications from the club have been that nothing has changed since the story about them seeking investment, except that it is now a different company doing it. Charlton have since managed to consolidate their place in the Championship, avoiding an instant return to League One, with their women’s side promoted to the WSL, returning to the top flight for the first time since 2007, although staying there is likely to be costly. It would be counter-intuitive for owners Global Football Partners not to progress the club when looking for investment, that the focus remains on driving it forward, that their spend this summer is in line with long-term planning and will see an increase in wages spent on players...

Hull City's 'strange' loan

When football finance guru Kieran Maguire seems flashing lights in a club's loan deal, I become concerned.  He is the leading football finance expert in the UK. Hull City have borrowed £55m against their stadium and training ground yet they should get £30m from the Premier League before long.  What is going on? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpwel48y51do