Prime minister Andy Burnham has said he would be “really concerned” to lose Manchester City’s owners as a result of the club being found guilty of more than 100 breaches of Premier League rules.
The new Independent Football Regulator (IFR) has the power
to oblige an owner to sell the club if they are found guilty of serious
wrongdoing. It is also possible that Sheikh Mansour, the vice-president of the
United Arab Emirates who is the owner of City, could decide to sell as a result
of the scandal.
City’s owners invested heavily in Manchester, where Burnham
was mayor before becoming prime minister, and he told BBC News: “I would be
really concerned to lose them [City’s owners]. They’ve been such a huge partner
in the building of modern Manchester. Obviously, the building of Manchester
City into the global force that it is.
“I can’t intervene more in the process. It would be wrong
for me to do that. It would be wrong, I think, to jump to a conclusion before
having really studied all of the detail, but obviously it’s ongoing, and
because it’s still contested by Manchester City, then I think it’s right that I
don’t say much more.”
Burnham pointed out that he had campaigned for Everton after
they were docked six points in the 2023-24 season for a breach of Profitability
and Sustainability Rules. He added: “I
fought for Everton in that situation because I still hold the view, very
firmly, that they weren’t fairly treated in that process. I am not privy to all
of the points of contestation between City and the Premier League, and I
believe you know those are arguments that are still going on.
“I remember people proclaiming Everton guilty at the time,
and you know, with hindsight, I think more people would say that wasn’t fair,
the way that was handled. So it would be wrong of me to leap to one side given
the experience that I’d had before becoming prime minister.”
Burnham said he was confident his dealings with City’s
owners when he was the mayor of Manchester would stand up to scrutiny. “Oh indeed, I do actually thank the City
football group and the wider ownership for the money that they didn’t just put
into the Etihad and the campus around it, but also into the city,” he said.
Comments
Post a Comment