Skip to main content

The European Super League v2

Something potentially big happened on the fringes of the World Cup this week.  European Football Clubs, the (unhelpfully) renamed entity previously called the European Club Association, agreed to set up a joint venture with Fifa to run the Club World Cup. EFC has a similar arrangement in place with Uefa to market media rights for the three pan-European club competitions, a partnership that has already yielded significant increases in TV revenue.

The deal is likely to accelerate plans to expand the tournament from 32 teams to 48, perhaps as soon as 2029. Europe already sent 12 teams to last year’s Club World Cup, but with a cap of two teams per country. Assuming the increase is split on a pro-rata basis, Europeans would take up 18 spots in a bigger competition, and the per-country cap will surely be raised.

Last year’s CWC suffered from not having several of the biggest clubs in the world involved — Barcelona, AC Milan, Manchester United and Liverpool. Raising the number of European participants will quickly solve that issue and help drum up more interest from broadcasters and sponsors.

We could soon end up in a situation where the 12 original European Super League participants, plus holdouts Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and Paris Saint-Germain are — in effect — guaranteed a slot. That could leave a few spaces still open for qualification; Uefa’s current rankings would point to the likes of Bayer Leverkusen, Aston Villa or AS Roma perhaps sneaking in.

The financial rewards on offer at last year’s CWC were significant, at least for winners Chelsea, who took home more than £80mn in prize money. European clubs also received higher fees for playing than their counterparts from other continents. The split between participation fees and prize money could easily be rejigged to make sure everyone takes home a decent chunk, regardless of how well they perform.

It’s not hard to imagine a future where the biggest 15 or so clubs are all but guaranteed regular income from a new and growing pot of money. The EFC’s involvement leads to much higher income, and soon those same clubs ask for the competition to be held every two years instead of four.

That the EFC already has a deal with Uefa reduces the risk that it tramples on the Champions League. And of course PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi, a vocal opponent of the Super League, is the head of the EFC and a member of Uefa’s executive committee.

But what it all adds up to is not a million miles away from the original vision of the European Super League — an elite group of top clubs with reliable, repeating income they don’t have to share with smaller domestic rivals.

The original Super League failed in large part because it was an attempted sharp, sudden shock to the system. Boiling the frog appears to be a much more effective tactic.

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's no deal say Spurs insiders over Taiwanese takeover

Senior figures at Tottenham Hotspur insisted on Friday that they had not been informed of any deal to sell Daniel Levy’s stake in the club. A business group, Eight Sports Capital — which is said to include a billionaire Taiwanese financier — claimed that it had an agreement in place to buy a 24.99 per cent stake in ENIC, the club’s majority owners, from Levy, who owns 29.88 per cent. The Times has been told Ng Wing Fai and Brooklyn Earick form part of the group, having both been linked previously to potential takeovers of the Premier League club. The Taiwanese businessman, Richard Tsai, is also said to be part of the consortium. He is reportedly worth £7 billion.  Last year Earick, the former DJ and tech entrepreneur, was part of an attempted £4.5 billion takeover, which was “unequivocally rejected” by Spurs.  An ENIC spokesperson said: “We can confirm that neither ENIC nor THFC are aware of any sale by Daniel Levy’s Family Trust of its minority stake in ENIC, THFC’...

Reports about Charlton sale exaggerated

Reports have appeared in The Guardian and elsewhere that Charlton has been put up for sale. Richard Cawley is an authoritative local journalist who runs a South London Sport substack site.  He reached out to the club yesterday evening to ask for comment on The Guardian’s article. Early indications from the club have been that nothing has changed since the story about them seeking investment, except that it is now a different company doing it. Charlton have since managed to consolidate their place in the Championship, avoiding an instant return to League One, with their women’s side promoted to the WSL, returning to the top flight for the first time since 2007, although staying there is likely to be costly. It would be counter-intuitive for owners Global Football Partners not to progress the club when looking for investment, that the focus remains on driving it forward, that their spend this summer is in line with long-term planning and will see an increase in wages spent on players...

Hull City's 'strange' loan

When football finance guru Kieran Maguire seems flashing lights in a club's loan deal, I become concerned.  He is the leading football finance expert in the UK. Hull City have borrowed £55m against their stadium and training ground yet they should get £30m from the Premier League before long.  What is going on? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/cpwel48y51do